Top 10 U.S. Exports
The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in American global shipments during 2016. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from the United States.
- Machinery including computers: US$190.5 billion (13.1% of total exports)
- Electrical machinery, equipment: $167.2 billion (11.5%)
- Aircraft, spacecraft: $134.6 billion (9.3%)
- Vehicles : $124.3 billion (8.5%)
- Mineral fuels including oil: $94.7 billion (6.5%)
- Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $82.0 billion (5.6%)
- Plastics, plastic articles: $58.4 billion (4.0%)
- Gems, precious metals: $57.8 billion (4.0%)
- Pharmaceuticals: $47.1 billion (3.2%)
- Organic chemicals: $33.9 billion (2.3%)
Mineral fuels including oil was the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories for 2016, up in value by 72.4% for the 7-year period starting in 2009. Crude and refined petroleum oils as well as petroleum gases were the leading gainers under this category.
In second place for improving export sales were vehicles which rose 68.8% led by international sales of cars, automotive parts and accessories and trailers.